Friday, February 22, 2019

Brake Service

The stock pads and rotors still seem to have a fair bit of life left. This is a clear sign that previous owners probably never really pushed the car very hard at all so I think I can pass on getting new pads and rotors this season. However, I like to change brake fluid every 2 years at most (once a year on any car that sees competition) since brake fluid is hygroscopic and one thing I don't mess with is stopping ability.

New stainless brake lines - 2-22-2019
I checked the service records previous owners had entered into the maintenance log and it looks like the brakes were last flushed at 20,000 miles which isn't that bad since it's only roughly 15,000 miles ago. The problem though is that was done back in 2013 so the brake fluid has been in there for almost 6 years now. That's no bueno in my book and certainly not when we're going to autocross it. Anytime I get an opportunity to get brakes serviced my first order of business is always to switch to stainless braided lines for extra safety and better pedal feel. I picked up a set of new Goodridge brake lines from Tire Rack as well as a bottle of ATE brake fluid. The bottle looks like it had been through a war but the fluid inside was all good.

ATE Type 200 Brake Fluid - 2-22-2019
You can certainly bleed brakes on a Cayman without anything fancy but to really flush the fluid you need a computer to actuate the ABS so you get all the fluid out. With March just around the corner, there was no time to waste so I dropped the car off with Lee at Hybrid Motors this morning so he could get this out of the way for me. The old fluid actually still came out pretty clean so that's a good thing but I can definitely feel a big improvement in brake feel after getting the car back. The pedal is nice and firm with no excessive travel. The number of items on the build sheet not marked as complete is approaching zero. I'm no longer waiting for any deliveries and there's just a few minor details left to take care of and I can fully mark her off as "Season Ready".
Stainless lines installed - 2-22-2019

Maintenance Updates:

Mileage: 34,557
- New Goodridge stainless braided brake lines
- Brake flush with ATE Type 200 Racing Quality DOT4 brake fluid