Thursday, January 31, 2019

Painted Interior Panels and Seat Belt Guides

We're getting closer to installing the new shocks but in order to adjust them once installed I'll need access to the adjustment knobs which unfortunately sit under the rear speaker panel. Since the main directive in this build is that everything has to be reversible, I didn't want to cut holes in the original panels. I picked up a set of used rear speaker panels but they were black and not stone grey like the rest of my interior.

Painted speaker panel - 1-31-2019
With a bit of research I found that the Rust-oleum Chalked ultra matte paint in Charcoal was a very close fit. I picked up a can and dropped the panels off at K2 Auto Body since they did just a great job on Bumblestook and had them painted for me so it could be done at the right temperate in their booth. The match came out really well I think. We can cut up this panel all we want now and at least from a color perspective won't stick out too much.

Porsche Stone Grey interior matching paint
One other issue that was bugging me that I wanted to fix was that the seatbelt on the GT2 seats were just off to the side and rubbing against the seat bolsters when not in use. This is likely going to cause unnecessary wear. I've been using these Jade Seatbelt Guides designed for Recaros on my Recaro Pole Positions and thought they might work with the GT2 seats as well. Surely enough they did so now the seat belt is secure in the appropriate spot and any use of it will just wear the seat belt guide and not the seat itself.

Jade Seatbelt Guide on GT2 Seats